Monday, December 17, 2012

Weekend Observations

The 2012 fantasy football seasons are finished for Cleavie Wonder and dare I say I couldn't be more disappointed.  14 weeks of trash talking down the drain.  The cute metaphors, instigating, personal jabs, and bold predictions were all for not thanks to Tom Brady and the Patriots.

Midway through the 3rd quarter of last night's game I had it on cruise control when out of nowhere Brady decides to try and be a hero.  Instead of coasting to victory I ended up looking like one of those long distance runners that collapses 20 yards from the finish line only to get passed up by some scrub who was half a lap behind.  To make matters worse Brady didn't even win the game causing me to lose a wager to a 49ers fan.  I'm so disgusted I can't even see straight.  More on this tomorrow.

As for my B3TZ game?  Congrats to DJ Tang, Alex Desmarais, and Winston Tran for coming in 1st 2nd, and 3rd respectively.  My lack of concentration and attention to detail was my undoing last week.  I could get more specific as to why I came up short, but until I win AT MY OWN GAME excuses and explanations sound hollow.  If I don't with this week I'll stop listening to Jay-Z for a year (and you know I don't want to do that).  Here are some observations over the weekend.

 

THE LONE BRIGHT SPOT in my catastrophic weekend was the dominant play of the Seattle Seahawks.  It has become pretty evident that the read option is the most devastating play the Hawks have come up with since Shaun Alexander pitch left in 2006.  Russell runs it to perfection.  50 points 2 games in a row is nothing to sneeze at and Seattle seems to be peaking at just the right time.  Too bad this Sunday night's game against the 49ers couldn't be more meaningful.  DAMN PATRIOTS!

On Saturday Butler proved once again it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog as they toppled #1 ranked Indiana.  I thought the Hoosiers were a little overrated.  Cody Zeller got a lot of hype as the preseason player of the year, but if he's the best college basketball has to offer the NBA lottery teams are in big trouble.

The Toronto Blue Jays signed CY Young winner R.A. Dickey to a 2 year $25,000,000 contract.  This is after trading for Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, and Mark Buehrle.  Can someone tell me where Toronto is getting the monopoly money to pay these guys?  I just don't see it in the budget.  Unless you play in New York, LA, or Chicago it's hard to spend like those teams.  They should have learned from the mistakes the Miami Marlins and Philadelphia Phillies made recently.

With 2 games left Adrian Peterson is 294 yards shy of breaking the single season rushing record held by the great Eric Dickerson.  Ordinarily I don't root for modern day athletes to break the records of my childhood idols, but in this case I could live with it.  Good luck to you bro.

4 comments:

  1. props to Dickerson!
    Toronto is going for the 1 and done. statistically it can work. just not recently.
    Mets should be shamed for not keeping Dickey. Good pitcher, great person. They will have to learn the hard way.
    In case anyone cares, Oakland wins the AL next year. By 4 games... b3tz anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. CW - it seems like you failed to give enough credit to your Fantasy Football opponent for picking up Brady and AP midway through the season. So, you both failed to play the right RB and kicker in the game, and failed to make the trades necessary to close the deal. Nobody will remember your domination of the regular season, but best of luck in the third place game. Hoping you can get your money back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous: I think the Angels will win. There comes a point when you have too much talent to lose. The A's were a feel good story last year, but not enough pieces to repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anonymous: I fail to give the credit because of the circumstances surrounding the victory. Look to my post tomorrow for clarification on this subject.

    ReplyDelete