Tuesday, October 25, 2011

College Hoop Season Preview

With no end in sight to the current NBA lockout I've been forced to shift my focus to the college kids for my basketball fix. It's a shame rookies like Kyrie Irving, Derrick Williams, Kemba Walker, and Isaiah Thomas (all underclassmen when they declared for the draft) have nothing constructive to do with their time. I hope their agents have deep pockets to support them during this labor strife.

College hoops hasn't been real exciting in over a decade, but there's no alternative at present. I'll have to take what I can get. There are a few players however that I have a special interest in. These 5 guys will definitely be in the league next year (if there is one) and I'm curious to see what they can do. Here's my top 5 players to watch in college basketball this season.

5. Austin Rivers, Duke. The son of coach Doc Rivers has tremendous ball handling skills and a knack for getting to the hole. Without Kyrie Irving running the point coach K will have to rely on him heavily.

4. Harrison Barnes, North Carolina. They threw a party at Chapel Hill when Barnes announced he was coming back to school and now we get to see if he's worth all the attention. I expect nothing less than an ACC player of the year award.

3. Jared Sullinger, Ohio St. Sullinger was a man among boys last year so with a summer to work on his game we should see a giant amongst midgets this year. If he's not an All American I'll buy each and every one of you a happy meal at McDonalds.

2. Terrence Jones, Kentucky. Jones showed flashes of brilliance last year, but lacked the consistency to be considered one of college basketball's elite. Let's see if he can put it all together this year.

1. Tony Wroten Jr., Washington. This is a homer pick. The 6'6 point guard was shunned by Kentucky and feels he has something to prove. All the experts say the kid is special and is most likely a one and done player. His court vision is compared to Magic Johnson and Kenny Anderson. Pretty high praise. We'll see if he can live up to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment