Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Track And Field Is Dead In The United States

I was having a couple of drinks with a few friends on Friday when I glanced up at the TV and saw a track and field meet. I was so stunned I had to ask myself, "When is the last time I saw a track meet on television?" I watched a few events, but I became disinterested fairly quickly. There weren't any house hold names in any of the events and none of the competitors were a threat to a world record. If track and field can't hold the attention of a die hard sports fan like myself I think there's little hope for its success.

Gone are the days of Marion Jones, Carl Lewis, Michael Johnson, Ben Johnson, and Jackie Joyner-Kersee. The sport reached its apex in 1996 when the summer Olympic games were held in Atlanta. Since then the sport has failed to replenish itself with charismatic superstars and captivating story lines. In addition, the sport has been tainted with the allegations of PED's and the scandal that follows. In short I don't think the American public really trusts the sport and there's no one to rally around. With the exception of Usain Bolt your average person can't even name a track and field athlete.

I want to go on record as saying I like track and field. I miss watching Michael Johnson breaking world records in his gold shoes or Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson staring each other down before a 100 meter showdown. I miss watching Marion Jones shift into that extra gear and blow away the competition. I need a reason to watch though and until the sport cleans itself up and the athletes get better I have none. Jesse Owens is rolling over in his grave right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment