Saturday, February 5, 2011

Lorenzo Romar Is On My Radar

It wasn't so long ago I was asking myself if the Washington Huskies deserved a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. Now the Huskies are 15-6 and I wonder if they can even win the Pac 10 tournament. Their record is not indicative of a team that considers itself a threat to win the national championship and I for one am disappointed. It's time for the finger pointing to begin an in customary fashion let's start at the top with the head coach.

Let me go on record as saying I'm a fan of coach Romar. He took the job at the UW when no one else wanted it and he is the person most responsible for the program's resurrection. That being said the Huskies have been mired in mediocrity lately and unable to take the next step towards becoming an elite program. The Huskies recruit well, but they lose a lot of blue chip athletes to the state of Kentucky. Whether it's the Wildcats or the Cardinal Calipari and Pitino prove to be more charming than Loernzo. Even without Terrence Jones or Peyton Siva, the talent is there, but it just hasn't come together the way everyone anticipated.

I'm not ready to throw the guy out, but he's got my attention. If I don't see a vast improvement in the next few weeks and a long run in the tournament this year it may be time to put coach Romar on the clock. If he doesn't have the voice that gets the players to respond then you have to start looking elsewhere. I believe coach Romar has the ability to motivate his players and take the program to the next level, but that belief has to get backed up with evidence on the court. Coach Romar is a nice guy and sometimes nice guys finish last. Let's hope this nice guy has a mean streak.

No comments:

Post a Comment