Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I Am A Hip-Hop Snob

I am a self proclaimed hip-hop snob. I don't blame myself, I blame the 90's. During that era (the golden age of hip-hop)the talent level was as deep as it has ever been. Imagine a time when Jay-Z couldn't crack the top 10 nicest mc list. That's how deep it was. Newcomers had to earn their stripes. They had to be spectacular to break through and grab the attention of fans. Wutang, Outkast, Redman, Eminem, Snoop, Nas, Notorious BIG,Tupac, all came out in the 90's. I realized I was a hip-hop snob when I lost the desire to listen to certain artists. Don't get me wrong, I respect the artists trying to make a dollar and riding the wave of success but in truth the music doesn't move me. A few years ago it was Mike Jones and his ice age thing, nowadays it's Gucci Mane. marketing and promotion is not enough to sway my well trained ear. I realize times change and people change but once you've been exposed to greatness it's hard to settle for mediocrity. It's like going from drinking Cristal to drinking Cisco or from driving a Ferrari to driving a Yugo. I won't settle! Now that I've jumped down from my soapbox I feel better. At least I'm not as bad as those hip-hop purists........ I'll address them next Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment