Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Workout Cycle Part II

As I get ready for bed I have the workout routine all planned out in my head. I'll get up at 5:00, grab a protein bar, hit the pool for some serious laps, come back home, take a shower, and get ready for work. Simple. I go to sleep with visions of Michael Phelps in my head. Then 5:00 rolls around. The alarm clock goes off and it sounds like an air raid siren. I compose myself enough to jump out of bed and hit the snooze alarm. 5:09 rolls around and the same thing happens. When 5:18 rolls around I have to make a decision. Do I get up and get into the routine I promised myself I would, or do I lay in bed and get additional rest for my incredibly long, tedious work day. The 72 degree room, the comfy pillows, and the goose down comforter make a compelling argument. The desire to get back in shape and walk around South Beach with my shirt off also makes a compelling argument. In the end the pillows win and I go back to sleep for 90 minutes, but I vow to work out first thing after work. Again. This vicious cycle may sound familiar to some of you. The difficulty comes in putting enough importance on working out as opposed to the comforts of home. I wouldn't label myself as narcissistic, but I an somewhat vein. The thought of putting on 25 pounds and looking like Bill Cosby is a concern, but fortunately I've been able to maintain a fairly respectable stature. This is no excuse however and I know in my heart I have to start getting my lazy ass up and do something. Commit to working out either in the morning or at night. It all sounds good so long as I fight off the complacency demon that seems to take over whenever a choice has to be made. I have confidence I can win this fight, but everyday is a struggle. Hopefully writing this blog will illustrate to myself how much the benefits of working out outweigh the benefits of TV and Heineken. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

2 comments:

  1. Like I said, we can also call you at 5am. We are up. Besides vanity, there is the health factor. You know, heart disease, high blood pressure and all that stuff. You aren't getting any younger Cleavie. What about your wife? Can you guys do this together? We are ridiculously competitive and never want the other to think we are lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We both suffer from the same affliction, but that's all about to change this week!

    ReplyDelete