Sunday, April 11, 2010

Fishing Is Not A Sport

Don't get me wrong, I like Bassmasters. I marvel at the contestants ability to catch 100 pound fish and I realize there's a great deal of skill involved. I just don't want to see it on ESPN. Fishing is right up there with canine obstacle courses and the lumberjack olympics. I refer to those events as space fillers, something to pass the time until football season starts again. Fishing is something you do with your grandpa as a bonding experience or with your boys talking about past glory and hot chicks. It is not a sport. You don't even have to be in shape to fish. There is no advantage gained by running a 4.5 or bench pressing 400 pounds. If you want to label something a sport it needs to have an athletic component. With fishing all you have is nets, poles, lines, and lures. Fishermen don't use the cream or the clear. The solution is simple, move fishing to the food network and replace it with Nerf indoor basketball. The ratings would be off the hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment