If Dirk Nowitzki is truly over his meltdown in the 2006 NBA finals the Dallas Mavericks will win the championship this year. Here are the 5 reasons why:
1. Weapons. Dirk has never played on a team with this much talent before. Trading a disgruntled Josh Howard for a hungry Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood has really paid dividends. When you combine that with Terry and Kidd the Mavs have all the ingredients to bake a championship cake.
2. Timmy D is on borrowed time. Tim Duncan will never score on 10 straight possessions in a playoff game ever again. The 4 time champion is vulnerable and Big Shot Bob or The Admiral aren't walking through that door to save him.
3. Phoenix is not a playoff team. Phoenix can't play defense and has no idea what a half court offensive set looks like. The playoffs don't cater to Nash's strengths.
4. LA isn't healthy. If ever there was a time to steal one from the Lakers, it's now. Kobe's banged up, Bynum is hobbling, and they will most likely play Denver in the 2nd round. That series will will take a lot out of them.
5. No champs in the East. Boston is done. Lebron has never won a chip and we don't know how he will mesh with Shaq come winning time. Dwight Howard has no go to move in the post and after seeing his ex-girlfriend on Basketball Wives I question his ability to make good decisions in crunch time.
It's now or never for Dirk. If he doesn't win it this year he will end up on the list with Karl Malone, John Stockton, Chris Mullin, Patrick Ewing, and Charles Barkley. Good Luck.