Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sade is the Queen and the Soldier

I was the one
I who could
Pull in all the stars above
Lay them on your feet
And I gave you my love
You are the one that got me started
You could have let me
Love anyone but I only wanted you
So why did you make me cry?
Why didn't you come get me one last time?
Sade -The Moon and the Sky
I was recently asked the question why do black men love Sade so much? As I pondered the question I had to reflect on the evolution of Sade. Our first glimpse was that of a sultry night club performer singing her heart out in some dark, smoky cabaret. At that point we began to see the conflict that would define her, the ongoing saga of love and pain. There was an apprehension to falling in love, a fear that her love would not be reciprocated. It would take her some time to find the strength and courage to take that risk.
She ultimately found and embraced the love she so desperately desired and that love transformed her into an angel, a princess, a goddess, and a songstress. The love gave her the power to move heaven and earth and the will to endure many trials and tribulations. The love also made her vulnerable exposing a heart completely unguarded. The journey has provided a backdrop for some of the greatest songs of a generation, but the love story isn't the reason black men love Sade so much.
It's the storyteller more than the story. Sade is no different that Biggie, Jay-Z, or Nas in her ability to paint a picture in our minds. Her words make us believe she is capable of the magical feats and feelings of despair depicted in her songs. It's the character more than the person. Sade has the look and aura of an African queen, a Cleopatraesque persona for modern times. If Helen of Troy had the face that could launch 1,000 ships Sade has the eloquent and regal beauty that could launch 3,000 down the Nile. It's the messenger more than the message. Her soothing voice is a perfect compliment to her subtle, soft features and unassuming mannerisms.
After 25 years of deep thought, provocative conversation, and debate the answer can be summed up in one sentence. Black men love Sade because her look goes with her sound, the songs seem real, and she's hella dope. Simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment