Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Kentucky Basketball Is The Sh*t

I may be opinionated, but I'm not a hater. I may act like I know everything, but deep down I'm a realist. If you're going to be fair and have integrity you must assess the facts for what they are. Over the years I've given the Kentucky basketball program a hard time. I've accused the program of unscrupulous acts, NCAA violations, and referred to them as a plague on college athletics. The time has come for me to change my position. UK is a basketball factory like no other and coach John Calipari is a genius.

Make no mistake about it, this is not an easy thing to say. I don't like coach Cal or Kentucky basketball, but I respect them immensely. Since he stepped on campus in Lexington John Calipari is a mind boggling 102-14. In 2010 Kentucky sent 5 first round picks and two lottery picks to the NBA including the overall #1 pick. In 2012 Kentucky will send 5 first round picks and two lottery picks to the NBA including the overall #1 pick. It would be unintelligent of me to argue with that kind of success.

Kentucky is flooding the NBA with high caliber talent and the program hasn't reached its maximum potential. The recruiting pitch just got a little easier with a national championship this year and another starting 5 on their way to becoming millionaires. The program sells itself like Blue Magic. There's not a high school basketball player in America that doesn't have Kentucky at the top of their wish list. They may end up somewhere else, but they start out thinking Kentucky first and foremost.

John Calipari and the Kentucky Wildcats are the best at using the system to their advantage. One and done is the name of the game and Kentucky has adapted quicker and stronger than other schools. No more standing on a soap box clamoring about education and maturity, just bring back a trophy while you're in town doing your mandated internship. Seems to be working right?

No comments:

Post a Comment