Thursday, April 26, 2012

Chad Johnson Is The Next Warren Sapp

Have you ever heard the saying a fool and his money will soon be parted?  Well, in 2012 the saying should go an athlete and his money will soon be parted.  That's not to say all athletes are fools or should be condemned for their spending practices, but the trend of athletes going broke is alarming.  For every Magic Johnson and Jamal Mashburn there's a Lynn Dykstra and a Warren Sapp.  The next high profile athlete I predict will be filing chapter 13 soon is Chad Johnson.

I was watching Basketball Wives the other night (lost the remote again) and saw Chad give his fiancee a Maserati for her birthday.  It was a wonderful gesture and I'm sure he loves her very much (for now), but in the grand scheme of things it's probably a little eccentric for someone that doesn't have a guaranteed contract.  Chad was less than impressive last year with the New England Patriots and if they get a chance to acquire a young receiver with size and speed the team will cut him.  If that scenario occurs he may wish he got her a nice hand bag as opposed to a 6 figure sports car.

Truth be told I'm not Chad Johnson's accountant and I have no idea how much money he has or how successful his investments have been.  He may be flushed with cash and financially set for the rest of his life.  I don't live his lifestyle so I won't judge him in that manner.  He's the one taking shots from Ray Lewis and training 4 hours a day so who am I to tell him how to spend his money?  What I do know is history has shown us that living an extravagant lifestyle will take its toll if you don't continue to make large sums of money.

Chad Johnson is a football player and at 34 years old his opportunity to make large sums of money is closing rapidly.  I hope he has a few seasons left or that fiancee of his might send him to the poor house.  Living in the  moment sometimes leads to an uncertain future.  I hope Mr. Johnson figures this out before it's too late. 

No comments:

Post a Comment