Friday, December 3, 2010

The Apple Cup

I'll admit I am a little bit bias when it comes to the subject, but the top notch education I received, the blood, sweat, and tears I left on the UW campus, and the tens of thousands of dollars I paid in parking tickets gives me the right. My grandmother, my uncles, and my godparents all graduated from the UW so the tradition runs deep. Most in state rivalries are one sided and the Apple Cup is no different. I only know the dominant side of the rivalry so I can't speak for WSU fans, but the Apple Cup is a happy time.

It's a time when friends, family, and alumni can all come together with one goal in mind and that's retaining bragging rights. Because the Huskies win this battle so often it makes the alumni appear smug, arrogant, and cocky. To the contrary, the Apple Cup keeps the alumni humble because it's a constant example of how fortunate they are. It could be them on the other side of this ledger. Of course WSU has had its moments in this rivalry game. I was reminded by a WSU alum the other day that the Cougars ended the worst season in Husky history (0-12) with a resounding victory and the infamous snow game of 92' which was a complete embarrassment. These random victories serve as a sense of pride for Cougar fans and teaches the Huskies to show restraint. Leaving the Cougars with some hope that the Apple Cup is winnable is the humane thing to do and gives the rivalry game some suspense. Otherwise the outcome would be a foregone conclusion and WSU would accuse the UW of being oppressive Fascist's.

In years past the Apple Cup has served as a scrimmage for the Huskies before heading into a major bowl game. It was the precursor to the clashes with Alabama in the Sun Bowl, wars with Texas in the Holiday Bowl, battles with Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl, and showdowns with Michigan in the Rose Bowl. Most recently the Husky football program has been less than impressive (to say the least). The team hasn't been to a bowl game in almost a decade but with the win over WSU on Saturday the Huskies are once again bowl eligible. It's ironic that the little school in Pullman will be the springboard that propels the Huskies back to dominance. In other words the Cougars will do what they usually tend to do (roll over). To all my WSU fans out there I thank you in advance for the opportunity to help the Huskies return to their glorious past. No hard feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment