Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Is Dan Marino Still A Hero?

I can't believe he did that to his wife.  I used to have a lot of respect for that guy, but now I think he's an a$$hole.  His wife should divorce him and take him for everything he's worth!

Dayna Wilson

A few weeks ago reports surfaced that Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino fathered a love child out of wedlock and paid the mother millions of dollars to keep quiet about it.  It was an embarrassing admission for the Marino family and tarnished what was otherwise considered a squeaky clean image.  Infidelity in itself isn't a crime, but did Dan Marino lose the case in the court of popular opinion?

Let me start out by saying I'm completely biased when it comes to the subject of Dan Marino.  He is one of my favorite athletes of all time (not just football) and I have way too many positive memories about Dan to be objective.  I've won thousands of dollars betting on Dolphins games, seen miraculous comebacks, and touchdown passes that defied the laws of physics.  Dan is a legend on the football field and his personal indiscretions (at present) don't offend me that much.

On the other hand I realize heroes and role models are held to a higher standard than most other individuals and the same rules don't apply.  People have a different level of expectation and their moral compass is meticulously scrutinized.  I don't condone what Dan Marino did, but I don't feel it's my place to judge another man's issues and the decisions he makes in life.  Everyone has things they may not want the whole world to know about them.

The bottom line is heroes and role models are human.  They are flawed and very few can live up to the persona and expectation other people put on them.  If you look at it from that perspective you won't be disappointed or upset to find out they're not perfect.  It would be wrong to forget or discount all of his great deeds because of one bad mistake.  Dan Marino is still a hero in my eyes.  Your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. 'hero' doesn't apply to sports. dude didn't even win a Super Bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the read. It shouldn't, but that's how a large majority of the populations views successful professional athletes. The no Super Bowl thing unfortunately will be his legacy.

    ReplyDelete