Friday, March 9, 2012

The Emotion Of Sports

Yesterday I let my emotions get the best of me. It's still too early for me to comment on the specifics of the game, but let's just say my team didn't win. Not only did my team not win , they lost in dramatic fashion. It's not the loss I'm concerned about, it's how I let the loss affect me.

It ruined my entire day. I was in a somber mood all afternoon snapping at co-workers, fighting with family, and displaying an apathetic attitude in general. There wasn't enough rum or tequila in the house to change my demeanor. It took me an entire day to put things in perspective.

As a college educated adult it seems crazy to me that the actions of a few teenagers I don't know personally can determine whether I have a good or bad day. These kids don't pay my bills, tend to my grandmother, or have any control over my daily affairs so why do I take their successes and failures so seriously?

The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat are what makes sports so exciting, but for the die hard true sports fan it becomes more than that. The outcome can be all consuming and dare I say unhealthy for those that take sports to heart. And you wonder why athletes make so much money.

The sad truth is I can't help myself. Sports is in my DNA whether I like it or not. I make no apologies for my actions and if I'm being honest with myself this is not the last time this will happen. I guess you'll have to label me a sports junkie for better or worse. Oh and by the way, I'm not looking for the cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment