Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Darkside Of John Elway

I wasn't privy to the conversation between John Elway and Peyton Manning, but I'm pretty sure it went something like this.

John: Look P, you and I both know the Broncos can't win a Super Bowl with Tim Tebow at the helm. I mean I like the guy and all, but that hokey ass offense and that ridiculous delivery just won't get it done. I mean the guy couldn't hit water if he fell out of a fu*king boat. I know what you can do and money is no object. Son, I've watched you grow up over the years and I know you got a raw deal in Indy so come play in the Mile High city for your uncle John. I'll take care of you.

Peyton: What about the fans? Tebowmania is real serious in Denver.

John: Once we hold up that orange #18 jersey they'll forget all about that clown I promise you. Don't worry P, this will be your town.

Peyton: Alright John. I'm in.

John Elway never wanted to start Tim Tebow in the first place. He didn't draft him and as a Hall of Fame quarterback with two Super Bowl rings he knew the kid wasn't legit. The organization put Tebow in to appease their fan base and end the controversy once and for all. To every one's surprise Tebow did the impossible and led the Broncos to a playoff victory over the reigning AFC champion Pittsburgh Steelers. Now they were stuck with him for better or worse.

Then along came Peyton Manning. When the 4 time NFL MVP put Denver on his short list of suitors John Elway went full speed ahead. Never mind the hurt feelings or the insincere commitment to Tebow John was all in. It was a decision based on conventional wisdom and a lack of confidence in an unorthodox offensive scheme.

The upgrade from Tim Tebow to Peyton Manning is like trading in a Hyundai Sonata for a Bentley. If the Broncos could win 8 games and get into the playoffs with the Holy Roller what could they do with the best quarterback in the game?

That still doesn't excuse the way John Elway handled the situation. He threw Tim Tebow out of Denver like a piece of old chewing gum. If karma is real his handling of Tim Tebow may come back to bite him in the ass. If not John and Peyton can swap Super Bowl stories overlooking the Rocky mountains with a nice cold Coors. In any event John Elway showed he can be as ruthless as Bob Kraft if he has to. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment