Saturday, May 21, 2011

Macho Man Tribute

It always started out with Mean Gene Okerlund asking him a bunch of asinine questions about his upcoming opponent. Mean Gene was an instigator by nature and liked to rattle the cage of the champ before a match. With all the swagger and bravado one can muster Macho Man Randy Savage would answer Gene's condescending questions in emphatic and dramatic fashion. Just as the interview was ending Randy would turn to his manager and say..... Elizabeth, down that aisle!

The ceremonial theme song Pomp and Circumstance would play as Randy entered the ring and you knew before long someone was going to get a flying elbow leading to an eventual three count. That was the Macho Man Randy Savage way.

I remember staying up late watching Saturday Night's Main Event hoping to see Savage annihilate his adversaries. There were epic battles with the Heenan Family, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, The Hart Foundation, and the Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase. Macho Man talked a lot of trash (most wrestlers do), but he always backed it up.

Whether it was a cage match, a battle royal, or Wrestlemania Randy gave it 100%. When Hulk Hogan betrayed him by making inappropriate advance towards Miss Elizabeth, Savage challenged him to a duel in Wrestlemania V. Savage clearly had the match won, but the refs cheated and gave the victory to Hogan. Go figure.

I don't typically think of wrestlers as "sports icons", but Macho Man Randy Savage is one of my favorite athletes of all time. I even have his action figure on my desk at work for inspiration. Whenever someone is getting out line or testing my patience I imagine Savage coming off the top rope and smashing that person in the face. I live vicariously through his persona.

Before The Rock, John Cena, Stone Cold Steve Austin, or The Undertaker there was Savage. He was never as big as Hulkamania, but that's ok. True wrestling fans know who the better wrestler was. I'm not 13 anymore, but when I think of the Macho Man it takes me back to that carefree period in my life. A time when I might argue if wrestling was real or fake. A time when I thought a pile driver wouldn't cause permanent paralysis. In short, the legend of Randy Savage is a fond memory from my childhood. Macho Man's legacy will live on forever. The elbow will never be forgotten. Rest in peace big guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment