My man Walter Bailey picked Washington St. over USC last week and I thought he was crazy. This week I'm taking it one step further by predicting the Trojans will lose their 2nd straight game to Boston College. The men of Troy certainly have more talent than the Eagles and on paper this game shouldn't be close, but USC is a program spiraling out of control so none of that matters right now. Here are 5 reasons Boston College will beat USC.
1. The quarterback position. It shouldn't take 3 weeks into the season to make a decision on the starter. What that really means is the coaches don't have much confidence in Max Wittek or Cody Kessler. By process of elimination someone had to get the nod (Kessler), but that doesn't mean the position is solidified or stable.
2. Lane Kiffin. The older brother of Tosh.0 is watching his dream job disappear before his very eyes. Unless USC wins the remainder of their games this season the Trojans will have a new head coach next year. That reality will cause Kiffin to hit the panic button and make irrational decisions during the game.
3. Marquis Lee. Anytime a team struggles to get their marquee player involved in the game you know there's a problem. Marquis Lee is becoming frustrated to the point he's already called a players only meeting to rectify the situation.
4. Defense. Boston College has a solid defense that will take advantage of Cody Kessler's mistakes. If WSU's defense can dominate the Trojans imagine what the Eagles will do?
5. Fear of failure. The USC offense plays like they're afraid to make a mistake and the defense plays like they have to hold their opponent scoreless. That's too much pressure on both sides of the ball. All the Eagles have to do is grab the lead and maintain it for 3 quarters. USC will do the rest.
As you might recall I wrote a blog a few years ago about the demise of the USC Trojans so this scenario is not a surprise. The fact of the matter is Lane Kiffin is not a very good coach, the players don't respond to adversity very well, and no one is afraid to play USC anymore. Too bad the Washington Huskies don't have them on their schedule this year.