We've reached the half way point of the NFL season and it's turning out exactly the way I said it would. Just kidding. As with every season injuries and surprise performances have a significant impact on the results. Already my Super Bowl prediction (New England vs. Philadelphia) is looking a little suspect and the St. Louis Rams definitely won't win the NFC West. Sometimes the crystal ball needs a little Windex. The the league may have thrown me a few curves, but there are 5 stories no one saw coming.
5. The underwhelming Philadelphia Eagles. At the start of the season the Eagles were picked by many ( including yours truly) to reach the Super Bowl, but now they are a long shot to make the playoffs. They have enough talent to do it, but I don't think they will get in.
4. The San Francisco 49ers. The 49ers are 7-1 and Alex Smith is still the starting quarterback. In a dismal NFC West the 49ers have essentially clinched a playoff spot with their fast start and only the Packer have a better record. Tell me you saw that one coming.
3. Peyton Manning. Peyton Manning is to the Indianapolis Colts what Michael Jackson was to the Jackson 5. The Colts have yet to win a game without their fearless leader and with the prognosis of his return uncertain the team has some very tough decisions to make. Don't they have to take a quarterback to protect their franchise?
2. Cam Newton is a "G". It seems impossible for the #1 player selected in the draft to exceed expectations, but Cam Newton has done just that. Not even Dan Marino stepped in his first season lighting up like this kid. I'm sure Steve Smith will be sending Cam a generous Christmas gift for resurrecting his career.
1. The Tim Tebow Experiment. For football purist this guy is hard to watch. He does everything wrong yet he seems to find a way to win. There are even rumors the Broncos are going to install option plays in their offense. Whatever the case may be Tim Tebow is a headline grabbing story every week. All eyes on Timmy.