Losing is a part of sports. In every athletic competition someone has to be defeated. Over the years we've seen dramatic comebacks and colossal meltdowns. There have been epic battles that make history and one sided affairs that make us wonder why the other team even bothered to show up.
In the middle of all these events are the sports finishes that make you say really? Did that person or team lose because of that bone headed play? If you're going to lose at least lose having given it your all I always say. At any rate here's my list of the 5 most ridiculous losses of the last 25 years.
5. Serena Williams 2009 US Open. I've been frustrated on a tennis court many times so I know how Serena Williams felt during the match. That's still no reason to tell a linesman you're going to shove a tennis ball down their fcuking throat leading to a disqualification at a grand slam. Serena, you're better than that.
4. Scott Norwood Super Bowl XXV. I can't imagine how painful it must be to go through life as the person who single handedly lost the Super Bowl. I hate kickers though so my sympathy only goes so far.
3. Chris Webber 1993 Final Four. After watching the ESPN documentary on the Fab 5 I have a little more compassion for Chris Webber calling a timeout he didn't have, but not much. He was young, but still old enough to have his head in the game.
2. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Coca-Cola 600 2011. We've all run out of gas before, just not in front of millions of people during a 3 year winless streak. How embarrassing must it be to miscalculate your fuel by 300 feet?
1. Usain Bolt 2011 World Championships. Does the world's fastest man really need that much of a head start? It's ludicrous to think that the world record holder couldn't hold his stance until he heard the sound of the starter pistol. When he looks back at his career this disqualification will haunt him forever.