Friday, June 17, 2011

The Vancouver Trip Part I

First off, I'd like to thank all of my family, friends and followers for showing concern about my safety over the past 2 days. I appreciate your e-mails, phone calls, texts, tweets, and facebook posts. What started out as a once in a lifetime opportunity to witness a historic event turned into a spectacle of epic proportions.

In the beginning everything was beautiful. My friends and I were fortunate enough to find a parking space in downtown Vancouver and eager to watch the Canucks win their first Stanley Cup. The plan was to bask in the moment of celebration and euphoria that comes when a city wins a major championship. With game 7 in Rogers Arena we had no reason to believe our plan wouldn't come to fruition.

The streets looked like a sea of blue and green and everywhere you you turned someone was wearing a jersey that said Luongo, Sedin, or Kessler. There was unbelievable optimism in the air, but once the puck dropped that all changed.

Before the first period was over the Canucks were already down 1-0. The team that scored the first goal had won every game in the series so the crowd was holding its collective breath. After Roberto Luongo gave up a 2nd and a 3rd goal you could hear a pin drop in the crowded restaurant we were in. It was funeral quiet and by midway through the 3rd period we realized our plan was not going to materialize the way we anticipated.

The game mercifully ended and the Boston Bruins walked away with their first Stanley Cup in 39 years. With no contingency plan in place for if the Canucks lost the game my friends and I took to wandering the streets. We ended up posting up at a bar and began to people watch. The sea of blue and green had a somber, depressing, heart broken feel to it. Thousands of people were sad and angry all at the same time. The riot police were in place to keep things civil and for the first 2 hours they were tolerant and patient, but in the blink of an eye things turned very ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment