Thursday, March 31, 2011

Video Games Are Not Real Sports

I was talking to my cousin the other day and he was telling me how much his son enjoyed playing golf these days. He gushed about how his swing had improved as well as his understanding of the game. I asked my little cousin if he wanted to go to Jefferson golf course and play nine holes over the weekend. He looked at me puzzled and said, "I've never been to a real golf course, I only play on the wii." Has the world passed me by or is there something terribly wrong with this statement?

Video games are a staple in our society and a cultural phenomenon, but have video games come so far that they replace real athletic activity? I understand the graphics are extraordinary and the systems themselves are more interactive than ever, but I never thought I'd see the day when fantasy would replace reality in terms of participation. At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, things aren't what they used to be. Our society has become fat and lazy and video games are one of the main culprits. The escapism has become a crutch that kids rely on to mask the fear of failure and inadequacy.

Video games give kids a false sense of security and accomplishment. When you lose you push the reset button. When you win you think you're ready to take on Tiger Woods. Sports builds character, physical endurance, and an understanding of the game. Video games can't replace that.

No comments:

Post a Comment