I'm pulling for Hines Ward to win dancing with the stars this year. I'm pulling for him because every time I see him on the football field I want to be able to point and laugh at him. Every time he drops a pass or gets cracked going across the middle I want to say "This ain't the ballroom Hines!" I hate Hines Ward. I hate everything he stands for. I hate his fake smile, I hate his cheap shot ways, and I especially hate the way he stands up for the refs in Superbowl XL. If he won dancing with the stars and I could ridicule him on a weekly basis it would make my season. The problem is some of my favorite athletes of all time have participated on this show including Sugar Ray Leonard this season. If the negative connotation applies to Hines, then it applies to all of them as well. Here is a list of my favorite athletes that have been on the show.
5. Jerry Rice. The NFL's all time leading receiver had a tough time making the transition into retirement and would have done anything to compete in front of a national audience.
4. Chad Johnson. A camera hog. Anything to be on television.
3. Emmitt Smith. The NFL's all time leading rusher wanted to show everyone he was more than just a powerful bruising running back.
2. Floyd Mayweather Jr. Just like Chad, anything to get attention.
1. Michael "The Playmaker" Irvin. Just wanted to dance around with a hot chick with his shirt unbuttoned.
I'm not knocking dancing. There's a ton of skill involved and athletic dexterity is important. It's just hard to see hall of fame athletes doing the fox trot, the cha cha, and the tango in shiny, flamboyant costumes. Most athletes like to be the center of attention however and dancing with the stars gives them that opportunity. All that being said, I'm still talking smack if Hines Ward wins the contest. Maybe I'm just too macho.